Squarespace is a ‘software as a service’ (‘saas’) website builder – you pay a monthly fee to use it, but everything you need to build and maintain your site is provided as part of that: templates, a content management system, hosting, e-commerce, support and (depending on your requirements) a domain.
There are two versions of Squarespace: first, there’s the ‘standard’ version, which is designed to be used by people without web development skills.
There is also a developer’s version which allows access to and manipulation of the source code. This permits the addition of greater functionality to Squarespace sites and the creation of bespoke templates. As the name suggests, it’s really suitable for experienced developers however.
The squarespace service uses pre-built website templates and drag and drop element to create webpages. Extremely easy to use and learn. you can build an entire website without writing a single line code.High quality themes that are easy to setup and design.Website themes are updated automatically to latest web standards.
Benefits of using Squarespace
- No Website Hosting Needed – their platform is fast and secure
- Online Content Management – all edits are done within your browser, no software needed
- Easily Drag and Drop Images – unlimited galleries with unlimited bandwidth
- Free Domain Name – when registering for your first website, if you pay annually (renews at standard rate)
- Beautifully Responsive – all templates work for all devices, so you only have to design your website once. Test and preview how your website will appear on a range of screen sizes.
- Blog Sections – can easily be added to start sharing your journey
- Commerce Solutions – are an upgrade away if you want to start selling products
- Email Marketing – gather email addresses, send marketing emails and analyze the reader email activity
- Modern Templates
- Style Editor
- Template Switching
- Built-in Mobile Websites
- Drag-and-Drop Management
- Responsive Image Loader
- Gallery Blocks
- Audio Collections
- Dropbox File Synchronization
- Content Downloading
- Social Links
- Custom WYSIWYG Editor
- Automatic Image Scaling
- Site Annotations
- Direct Editing
- Mobile Information Bar
- Custom CSS
TIPS ON USING SQUARESPACE
To help businesses get started, the team at Squarespace offered the following tips on how to get the most out of using the service and building a website to grow your business online:
- First, outline what kind of content you will put on your website and how it will be organized. Think carefully about the purpose of your website, consider how you can differentiate your project or business, and gather all your existing content in one spot — this makes it easier to see how it all relates and fits together.
- Be consistent. Whether you choose to update your site once a year or blog every week, create a plan and stick to it.
- Once you have a content strategy ironed out, try to condense information onto as few pages as possible to avoid overcrowding your website. Question whether 20 pages and a five-folder navigation menu are necessary. Don’t make visitors dig too far to find what they are looking for. Often, a simple, three-page site — for instance, a homepage, an about section and a blog or gallery — is the perfect place to begin.
- Consider the context. Your website should be the central place for your content. Social media channels can be used alongside your website to distribute information and create extra buzz or user engagement.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. Squarespace offers analytics, SEO, e-commerce, custom domains and social media integrations. An integrated service can be a powerful, timesaving tool for your small business.